The Int'l Cesarean Awareness Network believes that...
- The inappropriate over use of cesarean surgery is jeopardizing the lives of mothers and babies.
- When a cesarean is necessary, it can be a lifesaving technique for both mother and baby, and worth the risks involved.
- Birth is a normal physiological process. Research shows that with emotional support, education, and an honest opprotunity, the vast majority of women can have a healthy vaginal birth.
- A healthy birth incorporates emotional, physical, and spiritual well-being.
- Research shows that VBAC is reasonable and safe for both mother and baby. A repeat cesarean should never be considered routine- it is major abdominal surgery with many risks.
- It is unethical and unenforceable for hospitals to institute VBAC bans. Women have the right to refuse any procedure, including a cesarean.
- Women have the right to true informed consent and refusal, which entails full knowledge of the risks and benefits of all tests, drugs, and procedures.
- It is incumbent upon every care provider and institution to facilitate the informed consent process.
- Women must be allowed to express all their birth related feelings in a safe and supportive environment. The emotions of a pregnant and birthing woman have profound effects on the birth outcome and recovery.
- It is unethical for a physician to recommend and/or perform non-medically indicated cesareans (elective) . Women are not being fully informed of the risks of this option in childbirth, and therefore make decisions based on cultural myth and fear surrounding childbirth.
- The trend of “elective cesareans” is being significantly overstated through distortion of research and data.
- We as women must now assume more responsibility for our own births.
- It is critical that women’s choice of care provider and location of birth be respected.
ICAN of Nashville and The International Cesarean Awareness Network, Inc. ("ICAN") maintain this website as an online information and communications service. Use of this website is at your own risk. The information contained on or provided through this website is intended for general consumer understanding and education only, is not intended to be, and is not provided as a substitute for professional medical advice. Nothing contained on or provided through the website is intended to be or is to be used for medical diagnosis or treatment. The website is presented by ICAN of Nashville for the sole purpose of disseminating general health information for public benefit . Always seek the advice of your midwife, physician, nurse or other qualified health care provider before you undergo any treatment of for answers to any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. The website and any information provided by the website are not intended to constitute the practice of or furnishing of medical, nursing, or professional health care advice, diagnosis, consultation, or treatment or services in any jurisdiction.
Except for information, products, services or merchandise clearly indentified as being supplied by ICAN of Nashville, ICAN of Nashville does not operate, control, supply, endorse, warrant, or guarantee any information, products, services or merchandise available on the website or throught the Internet generally in any way. You understand and agree that ICAN of Nashville does not make any express or implied warranties, representations, or endorsements of any kind whatsoever (including without limitation, warranties of title or noninfringement, or any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose) with regard to the website, or with respect for any information, products, services or merchandise or other material provided on or through the website. ICAN of Nashville does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, correctness, timeliness, or usefulness of any information, products, services or merchandise or other material provided through the website. ICAN of Nashville makes no warranty or guarantee that the website will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error free.
In no event will ICAN of Nashville or ICAN, Inc. be liable to you or anyone else for a decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance upon the information contained on or provided through the website.